Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Our last week in Utah & on to Philly


Well, this past month has been a huge roller coaster for our little family. We enjoyed our last few weeks in Provo &  saying goodbye to friends and family was hard. We've officially started a new chapter in our lives and we're now living in Philadelphia. I NEVER thought I'd ever live on this side of the country, but I'm ready for the adventure. Nick starts school in a couple of weeks, so we're enjoying the time we have together until then. 

Nick drove the long, long drive with his parents, driving all our stuff out here. I flew out with the baby a few days later. We have been unpacking and making our new apartment our new home. We attended our new ward on Sunday and boy was it new. It's bitter-sweet to not be in the "bubble" anymore... and boy are we not in the bubble anymore. We are a minority in the ward and the building is nestled in the ghetto of Philadelphia. Seriously. There's not a parking lot, so we have to find a spot on the busy street every Sunday. I guess this means it will force me to leave for church early just to get a decent spot. :) The church is protected by bars and I felt like I was in some of my old areas of Argentina when I was a missionary. Nick's medical school is only a few blocks away from our church building. ( He isn't allowed to stay past dark. My rule.) 

Everyone is SO so friendly here. It reminds me a lot of my home in Texas. Madeline is a HIT here with her red hair. Nick and I feel like celebrities because everyone stares at us ( either because we're young with a baby or because we look weird.) Usually when people stare, they're super nice and talk to us about Madeline. East coasters talk super fast and they're hard to understand sometimes. hahaha. 

Luckily, we live about 20 minutes from downtown Philadelphia aka the ghetto. Our neighborhood is surrounded by beautiful trees and lots of hilly roads. There's a lovely park by our apartment complex too. The only downside around here is that it takes about 15-20 minutes to get anywhere: the grocery store, target, walmart, etc. ( There's an Ikea about 15 minutes away and I'm not mad about that.) I'm so used to a grocery store being walking distance away. Bummer. ( First world problems.) 

Did you know East coasters call the beach: the shore? 
Interesting. 

I have a little bucket list of things I'd like to do as a little family before Nick dives in head first for medical school in a few weeks. 

* Take Madeline to The Shore :) 
*Go to New York City
* Eat a Philly Cheesesteak 
*See all the history around here: Liberty bell, etc, etc....
*Go to Palmyra and see the Sacred Grove
* See the new batman movie.
* pepper spray someone. Preferably a bad guy. 

We haven't had the chance to leave our apartment much since we've been here ( except ridiculous trips to Ikea and Walmart.) I'm hoping next week we'll get out more and enjoy the beauty of Philadelphia. 

We feel like we're supposed to be here. We're not sure why, but we know this is where the Lord wants us. I feel SO blessed to be where we are today. I know this road won't be an easy one... but I think we'll make it. :) Nick is super excited to start medical school. He has SUCH a passion for learning... especially the stuff he's about to learn. He will be an amazing physician. 

We MISS our friends and family. We love you too. 
We'll be back on the West side of the country in 4 years. 
Keep in touch! 

Here's some pictures of our last week in Utah and a few of our new place: 

I MISS these majestic mountains. s




My parents came up from Texas the last week we were here. It was so fun spending time with them. 

Cousins: Madeline and Scout

So beautiful! Scout on her blessing day. ( Her dress was AMAZING!) 

Sisters and Cousins

Cessilee and CJ

Moving day :( 

4th of July babes ~ Madeline and Maely 

We MISS these guys! 

Celeste and Madeline on the 4th 

Waiting to watch the fireworks

Out to lunch to celebrate Jason's birthday

Madeline loves Zoe

The bride-to-be! I can't believe my sweet Rachel is getting married! 

my other sisters

what a beauty

cousins

Auntie Celeste and Madeline

Grandpa and Madeline 

All the fires this summer in Utah ~ so sad. 


cuties

me and sweet Scout

family

Zoe

Saying bye :( 

her first airplane ride...  ( she did pretty well on the 4 hour flight.) 

I sat next to these fellows: Jewish Rabbis. They spoke in Hebrew the entire flight. Shalom. 

We got a new couch from Ikea ( beige. I need some cute throw pillows.) 

We had dinner with a cute couple in our ward in Philly. This pizza place was SO yummy. 

M hangin out while we unpacked. 

I despise moving. 

Her first Sunday in Philadelphia. 

Our church is just a few buildings down. See? I told you. The ghetto. 

bars and our church building. 

Scout was SO sad to see us go. ( She actually just had her shots in this picture. Isn't she a heart breaker?) 

Almost settled in our new home. Story time with dad. 



3 comments:

knjfabela said...

So glad y'all made it safe! I can't wait to hear about all the fun and exciting adventures Philly holds for your family.

rbeifuss said...

You made it! This is going to be the best adventure for you guys! I am so excited for you! I read the part about the pepper spray goal and automatically pictured you accidently pepper spraying Nick. haha. I really hope you get to put that to use (preferably on a bad guy)

rbeifuss said...

and that last comment is from me ALI not Rachel. I didn't know I was signed into hers.

p.s. love and miss you guys! I am excited to come visit!