So we're finally all unpacked and settled in our new place. It's weird to think that this is our new home for the next little while. We've been in Philly for only a few weeks but it feels like we've been here a while now. Nick starts school in just a week ( and I'm sad about that... but excited at the same time because the sooner he starts, the sooner he'll be finished... right? haha.)
I've been sick with the stomach flu the past few days and holy cow it completely knocked me off my feet. I'm still trying to recover from that. Yuck. That was THE WORST.
Anyway, last week we had the opportunity to go to center city and visit Independence square, see the Liberty Bell, Benjaman Franklin's grave, and the Mint. There's SO much history in this city! It was super neat to go visit the stomping grounds of our founding fathers. It was a very special place indeed. I could feel the spirit in the room where they wrote the constitution.
On Sunday, we went on a nice walk together. Across the street from our apartment complex is a HUGE park.... as we drove deeper into the park, it felt more like Provo Canyon than a park. It was so beautiful and felt like home to me. There was a huge river running through it, lots of beautiful trees, old stone bridges, and even a quaint little restaurant right in the middle of it all. :)
So I'm feeling mixed emotions being so far away from home. It's been a lot of fun having Nick around and spending lots of time together... seeing the East coast. I just hope I don't get too lonely or sad when he's in school 24-7. Here are my reasons why I might get sad.
1.) I don't know anyone out here. Just Madeline and me. ( There's some really nice couple's in our ward that I'm SURE I'll get to know better and hang out with more.)
2.) I'm scared of people. That's right. I'm the most paranoid human being you'll ever meet. I've seen those crazy true story shows like " I Survived" and " I Almost Got Away With It" and those have been the worst thing for me. When I read the news here, the " I Survived" episodes I've seen suddenly become even more real... because I actually LIVE right in the middle of it all. Maybe this will be good for me and help me get over my fear. I just despise DESPISE the fact that Nick's school sits RIGHT IN THE SMACK DAB center of where most of the crime happens in this city. I made it a rule that he HAS to be in his car, on his way home, BEFORE dark. I've heard way too many stories of Temple U students getting all sorts of jacked. He's also not allowed to leave campus. My rule. I'm going to completely have to rely on the Lord to protect our little family during our stay here in Philadelphia... and I have complete faith that He will!
Okay, now that you all think I'm crazy... here are some pictures of our fun week.
This coming week, we hope to go to Jersey Shore and check out the Atlantic Ocean!
 |
| I LOVE the old buildings around here. |
 |
| Independence Hall |
 |
| The declaration of Independence was adopted in this room and the Constitution was written and signed here as well. |
 |
| Liberty Bell |
 |
| On a lamp post down town. In provo, there were "missing cat" flyers like this.... in Philly... this is what you'll see. Not cool. |
 |
| Benjamin Franklin's grave |
 |
| Where all our money is made! |
 |
| A piece of that park by our house. |
 |
| The park by our house |
 |
| A quaint restaurant in the park |
 |
| All moved in! |
1 comment:
I read a cool article in the August ensign about moving to a new place. It was applicable to me just being in Florida a few weeks. Thought you might like it too. Its called "Treasure in this City" by Jane Nickerson.
Its nice having a confirmation that your in the right place... the Lord will stretch you a bit and you'll grow in great ways. I know I will too :)
Post a Comment