Sunday, March 14, 2010

St. Patricks Day

Saint Patrick's day is coming up and boy do I LOVE corned beef and cabbage. You either hate it or you love it. I especially love the cabbage and carrots. I make this every St. Patrick's day. If you've never had it... try it! You could also add brown sugar to the meat. I hear that's tasty too!
(this isn't the exact recipe I use, I normally cook in a crock pot or the oven.)


Ingredients

  • 3 pounds corned beef brisket with spice packet
  • 10 small red potatoes
  • 5 carrots, peeled and julienned
  • 1 large head cabbage, cut into small wedges

Directions

  1. Place corned beef in large pot or Dutch oven and cover with water. Add the spice packet that came with the corned beef. Cover pot and bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Simmer approximately 50 minutes per pound or until tender.
  2. Add whole potatoes and carrots, and cook until the vegetables are almost tender. Add cabbage and cook for 15 more minutes. Remove meat and let rest 15 minutes.
  3. Place vegetables in a bowl and cover. Add as much broth (cooking liquid reserved in the Dutch oven or large pot) as you want. Slice meat across the grain.
(Note: I normally cook the cabbage and carrots separately on the stove. I just season them and add a little butter, and I cover them and stir every now and then until it's all soft.)

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

Oh Heather, I knew you were going to have this up when I saw the title of your post. After my grandpa, you are the person I think of when I see corned beef anywhere. I hope you get your fill! Brigham hates the stuff, but I don't mind it.