Monday, April 6, 2009

Conference weekend

Oh the happiness of being in Salt Lake on temple square the day of general conference. I always love seeing the bright, shining faces of thousands of mormons in one spot. Everyone dressed in their Sunday best excited to listen to the words of a living prophet. How Joseph, Hyrum, Brigham and the late latter day saints must smile down when this glorious conference is held every six months. Nick, Lance, Ashley, CJ and I had the opportunity of attending conference this year. I always feel so lucky to live so close to temple square. I realize not many people are able to attend conference and may not ever have the opportunity. On a different note, I'm so grateful for the technology we have to be able to broadcast General Conference all over the world so people don't have to come all the way to Salt Lake City to hear the servants of the Lord. They can watch or listen to it in the comforts of their own homes or church buildings near by. 



Conference was such an uplifting experience for me. It always is. I could listen to conference every Sunday! When we go to conference I always love to watch and observe the general authorities. What sweet men they are! I had the opportunity to meet Elder Scott a couple of years ago when I was on my mission. He was such a gentle man full of the love of God. Elder L. Tom Perry stood right in front of us and to our right was Elder Russel M. Nelson hugging someone. I felt the sprit very strong in that conference center. How blessed we were to be sitting in a room full of the Lord's anointed. These men truly are called of God. 

The conference center is just amazing. 

It was so much fun seeing Jim and Jennie (Martino) at conference as well. They are such a delight to talk to! I smiled as Elder Uchtdorf read Jim's name over the pulpit and sustained him to be in the second quorum of the 70. It was really neat to see him walk up as he was invited to take his new seat on the stand. I've known Jim all my life and he has always been a great example to me. I always enjoy hearing him speak and learning from him. I remember coming home from my mission and Jim asked me to speak on the atonement at the last minute in a spanish branch in Texas. I felt honored. I was still sick and my spanish wasn't perfect... but Jim had faith in me that I could do it. I did it and I'm grateful I had that opportunity. I admire Jennie and the love she has for her husband and the gospel. She has such great strength and faith.  She is a great example to me as well. I love them both. I will be looking forward to hearing a talk or two from Jim in the near future. :) We'll all be in for a treat. 
(Where's Elder James B. Martino? can you spot him?) 
(I HAD to take a picture of the 70... my uncle was in the midst!) 



I must say there were so many wonderful talks that touched me so much. The spirit was felt strong and I ended conference wanting to be better. One of my most favorite talks was by Jeffery R. Holland. What a powerful talk he gave. I felt of the respect and love he has towards the Savior. I urge each of you to read his talk when it becomes avaliable. I hope we each were edified this conference and had a reassurance that God really lives and that Jesus is the Christ. 


4 comments:

Jennie said...

What a sweet post, Heather. We loved sitting close to you at Conference and seeing how happy and beautiful you are! I sure love you.

Coslett's said...

what an honor it was for all you kids to witness that....what a wonderful example those two (jim and Jennie)! So grateful ya'll could be there!

Hannie said...

I love your posts Heather! Wish we lived closer!

Martin Family said...

Good ole' Jim Martino, our very own. He and jennie our great. That will be awesome to hear him speak. One day soon , hopefully. You guys look great. Married life is treating you good is seems. BTW I never saw what you were talking about me being on your blog under creative something. . . explain more please.