Thursday, February 5, 2009

Love and Devotion


I absolutely LOVE Joseph and Emma and the sweet relationship they had. I recently have read some of the letters they wrote back and forth when Joseph was away. In each letter, I could feel the LOVE they had for one another. They were best friends. Emma is such an example to me. She was such a strong woman. I love how much Joseph loved her. 

When Joseph was in New York, he wrote to Emma... " I feel as if I wanted to say something to you in your peculiar trial and present affliction. I hope God will give you strength that you may not faint. I pray God to soften the hearts of thsoe around you to be kind to you and take the burden off your shoulders as much as possible and not afflict you. I feel for you, for I know your state and that others do not, but you must comfort yourself knowing that God is your friend in heaven and that you have one true and living friend on earth, your husband."

Letter from Emma to Joseph:
"I am... willing to suffer  more if it is the will of kind heaven that I should for your sake... I hope there are better days to come to us yet... I am ever yours affectionately."

Lucy Mack Smith wrote in the book " The History of Joseph Smith by His Mother," about Emma ...
" I have never seen a woman in my life who would endure every species of fatigue and hardship, from month to month, and from year to year, with that unflinching courage, zeal and patience which Emma has ever done..." 

Emma and Joseph burried 6 of their 11 children. I can't imagine how a mother must feel. She even had to bury some of them alone because Joseph was doing the Lord's much needed work or being persecuted. I can't imagine how she must have felt peeling off the tar and feathers off her loving husband's face and body. I can't imagine how she must have felt watching and hearing so many awful people say and do awful things to Joseph. What FAITH she had. She LOVED her husband and the Lord. And the LORD loved them. 

The Lord told Emma:
" Wherefore, Lift up thy heart and rejoice, and cleave unto the covenants which thou hast made."- D&C 25:13

( I'm grateful for the Temple and for the covenants we make inside. I know that families are forever. I'm grateful to be sealed to an amazing man who makes me so happy. No matter what trials we face in this life, we can get through them with the help of the Savior. I'm grateful for the hope the gospel brings.) 
 
One of my most favorite quotes:
Joseph once said, " If I were sunk into the lowest pit... and all the Rocky Mountains piled on top of me, I ought not to be discouraged, but hang on, exercise faith, and keep up good courage, and I should come out on the top of the heap."

What a great example Joseph is to me. He truly was an AMAZING man. I love and respect him very much. I love his optimism and his love and devotion to the Lord and his gospel. If we ALL had this attitude, the world would be a better place and we'd find a bit more happiness in our lives. 

Letter from Joseph to Emma:
" I will try to be contended with my lot knowing that God is my friend. In him I shall find comfort. I have given my life into his hands. I am prepared to go at his call. I desire to be with Christ. I count not my life dear to me, only to do his will." 

Joseph truly loved his dear Emma. He also loved the Lord. Joseph knew he would see his bride again and they would be together forever with all their children. Emma had a powerful dream before she died (about 30 years after Joseph's death) , that she saw Joseph and her baby boy, Don Carlos, who died when he was an infant. She grabbed her baby in her arms and wept for joy. She then asked Joseph, " Joseph, where are the rest of our children?" Joseph said, " Emma, be patient, and you shall have all your children." As her dream came to a close, she saw standing next to Joseph, a personage of light, even the Lord Jesus Christ. A few days later, as her life came to an end, she reached forward with outstretched arms saying, "Joseph, Joseph!" And she was gone. At last... they were together again for time and all eternity, never to be separated again. 

I KNOW that Joseph saw God the Father and Jesus Christ in a grove of trees that day. I'm so grateful for his simple prayer and his faith. I am grateful to Emma for standing by his side through thick and thin. I love the sweet relationship they shared. What an example they are to me. 

I am grateful for Nick. His faith reminds me a lot of Joseph's. He understands the importance of missionary work and I am grateful for his desire to serve the Lord. I admire his faith and diligence. He is also very obedient to the teachings of the gospel. I feel the love of the Lord EACH day in our marriage because I know we both try to live the gospel and to fill our home with love. 

"Let thy soul delight in thy husband."- D&C 25:14

I pray we wives can be a little more like EMMA and support our husbands a little more and be their friends. I pray we always uplift them, praise them, serve them, and love them.  I know as we do so, our marriages will strengthen and the Lord will bless us in our personal lives and in  our homes. 



"My Daughter... Verily I say unto thee that thou shalt lay aside the things of this world, and seek for the things of a better."

- Revelation to Emma, D&C 25:1,10

3 comments:

Devin and Megan said...

That was so sweet!
Thank you for sharing that it makes me what to do better!

Coslett's said...

This makes me so proud.

acos said...

this is adorable, i totally love this! im going to go buy that book. cuuute