Wednesday, November 28, 2012

a little help here?

Madeline & I hopped into the car to run a few errands this freezing, cold morning. I looked down at my gas tank and realized I needed to stop for gas. I went to the gas station about a mile from my house.. turned off my car... and filled it with gas.

I went to go start my car up again... lo and behold, it wouldn't start. It just made some sort of clicking sound. Awesome. It was cold outside & I have a baby in the car seat. I looked around and there was only one other man there pumping gas, but he was in a tow truck, and seemed like he was in a huge hurry to get to where he was going because he quickly got in his truck and took off before I could even ask him for help.

I stayed by my car, close to Madeline, hoping someone else would come by soon. Finally, a newer model Jeep drove up. There were 3 MEN in the car. He pulled up next to my car. I gave a sigh of relief and waved at him to roll down his window.

"Excuse me, Sir? Hi. My car won't start and I have a baby here & don't want her to get too cold. Could you help me jump my car?"

........ ( blank stare from the men in the car) ..........

Me ( smiling, awkwardly): " Would that be okay?"

"...... uh..... I don't have jumper cables..." ( He said in a quiet voice...)

Me ( still smiling): Oh, I have jumper cables in my car!

" uh............"

* by this time I was a little bit speechless. THIS MAN DOESN'T WANT TO HELP ME. Okay, dude, I got your number. I get it.*

Me: " Never mind, I can see that you're busy and have better things to do." and I walked away.

He gave me a little smirk and agreed with me. ( He actually nodded his head at my comment.) and drove off.

* I wanted to call him every single name in the book.* I couldn't believe it. This would have NEVER happened in Texas. ( for real.)

What happened to serving others? What happened to charity and compassion? Isn't it the Christmas season on top of everything else? Who raised you?

I had so many things running through my mind... but I decided to forgive that schmuck guy and move on with my day.

Thankfully, the WORKER inside the gas station saw me waving at him through the window, and he came out and helped me jump my car. It literally took 3 minutes. I was so thankful.

My thoughts came back to that guy who so rudely declined to help a poor girl with a baby. Instead of feeling anger towards him, I felt sorry for him and told myself that he probably was having a bad day... or maybe he was on his way to the hospital to see his mother... or maybe he really was in a hurry... or maybe he was too embarrassed to say he didn't know how to jump a car. ( I think I'll stick to the last one.) And that's okay, dude, I understand.

I immediately started to think about the Savior, Jesus Christ. Not the fact that He would have helped me at the drop of a hat... but the fact that the Savior loves that man and He would have forgiven him if the Savior was in my shoes. But you know what? Jesus Christ HAS walked in my shoes... PLUS some. He's walked in all of our shoes. He, of all people, knows what it feels like to have people turn their noses up at Him, spit upon, laughed at.... you name it. No matter what those people did to Him... He LOVED THEM STILL.

I don't know that guy from Adam... but Jesus does. And Jesus loves him. Who am I to judge and be angry at this guy?

This little experience really caused me to open my eyes... I mean to REALLY open my eyes... and be aware of others around me. To reach out to others more... to listen to the still small voice who could lead me to someone in need and then to ACT upon it. I pray and hope I can be there for others... especially during their time of need. It is SO important to have charity for our fellow men and to love them, as the Savior does.

After feeling helpless today at the gas station, I NEVER want anyone to feel that way( even though it totally wasn't a big deal at all). Imagine WORSE things others face everyday. I pray I can be an instrument in the Lord's hands and be a helpmeet to others that come in my path. It's so easy to focus on the things you need to do that day & to focus on your own problems... but I know that if we pay attention to others around us, and think of others more than ourselves, we can and will see miracles happen in our lives. There's no greater thing than that.

LOVE ONE ANOTHER.

We are instruments in the Lord's hands. I pray we always remember that.


1 comment:

Gooldy Locks said...

People here are SO rude! One day we were driving & we came upon a lady attempting to push her car out of road by herself, while car after car drove right past her. I felt SO bad & always think, "what if I were in her shoes" so I made Mike get out of the car & help her! If you ever need a jump again, don't hesitate to call!