Good News! I haven't felt nauseated since Sunday! What a blessing. Oh, and we get to see Madeline again on Friday at our ultrasound. I love those.
Also, I survived.
I survived my first day ALL alone as a TEACHER in my second grade class. ( well, student teacher... but my actual teacher is away on a trip and she's letting me take the reins.)
It's my 3rd day at the elementary school, so it was a bit overwhelming trying to learn the routines and rules just by a day and a half of watching. It's also quite a trick to get the little 2nd graders to listen to you and take you seriously as a teacher.
You better believe they take me seriously. If there's one thing I can do as a teacher... that's management skills. I spent most of my life bossing my poor sisters, brother, and neighbors around ( forcing them to play school with me actually) and surprisingly, they played..... every. single time. I think they were afraid of me. I had a chalkboard and everything.
My kiddos were being little turds ( am I allowed to say that? well, I'm saying it in a loving way) yesterday and I had to "lay the smack down." We practiced for almost an hour of "what following directions" looks and sounds like. I had to be persistant, otherwise they wouldn't take me seriously. I felt bad for the little ones... but finally, they GOT it I think . They were ANGELS today.... they know to take me seriously now.
The trick is to balance the "negative" with the "positive"(more positive stuff though). I am more of a positive person, so I really enjoy the positive reinforcement.
Example:
The class is rowdy. Students aren't in their seats.... except for "suzie."
ME: " Oh, I really like how suzie is following directions by sitting quietly at her desk reading a book. Thank you, Suzie. You get a gold star."
IMMEDIATELY the rest of the class hurries to their desks and are all the sudden quiet as mice.
It works wonders... positive reinforcement. I love it. This is another reason why I love second grade. They get excited if they EARN one minute of extra recess. Hey, that extra minute in elementary school is longer than you think it is.
Anyway... It was a lot of fun feeling like a teacher today. I am also very exhausted. I could fall asleep right now.
Tomorrow we're celebrating birthdays and doing art projects. I can't wait to bust out my Disney music.
Also, I took some pictures of adorable baby Nash who just turned one recently. You can check them out HERE on my photography site: (heatherannette.com). Leave a comment or two... I'd love it.
{ My little brother comes home from his mission in Brazil in THREE months! I can't even believe it!}
What's A Sister For?
1 week ago

3 comments:
hahahah now i know why you wanted to be a teacher...to boss little people around all day! haha jk. but for real i bet you are good at showing them whos boss!
can i say - you go girl? seriously, good work on getting them in line. i was a lowly substitute teacher at jared's old middle school a few years ago (i.e. super ghetto) and i had to lay the smack down too. for real, though. i would say things like, "i will throw you out before you even come in." you can borrow that line if you ever need it, but it may be a little much for 2nd graders.
so glad you are feeling better!!!!
Heather, this is funny to me because I used to force my sister Heather and all of our neighbors / friends to play school with me too. Cracks me up.
Post a Comment