Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Kauai, Hawaii

For those of you who have never been to Kauai before... I really hope you get to go there at least once in your lifetime. I feel SO blessed that we were able to vacation there this year. It was ABSOLUTE paradise. Seriously. The weather was to-die-for perfect, hardly any bugs, warm ocean water, white sandy beaches, good food, and good company.

We rented a house right off the coast in Waemea, Kauai. It was very "old Hawaii" where we stayed, but I loved it! I loved the feeling there. We went to church on Sunday and the members were SO pure and sweet. There's just something about the islanders that make them extra special people. I felt like I was in the movie " The Other Side of Heaven" when we went to church on Sunday. The people on the island of Kauai are extremely down to earth and are VERY happy people! It was a complete breath of fresh air. No one is in a hurry to get anywhere and everyone is so thoughtful and kind! It was so good for my soul to be around strangers like that. Truly delightful. Even the guy working at McDonalds was extremely happy!

Speaking of amazing human beings... my Uncle Ralph is one of those people. He took us all to Hawaii on his dime! He is the most selfless human being I've ever met. He truly loves his family and will bend over backwards for them if he had to. We had a lot of fun spending time together. He really spoiled us!

We all got to Kayak this beautiful river and then hike the most amazing hike to a breath taking waterfall called " Secret Falls." The only way you could get there was by kayaking and hiking. I was nervous about all of that since I've been so sick... but it was SUCH a blessing because I felt good and it was so rejuvenating. The waterfall was so beautiful and we even got to swim around next to it. That was such a fun day.

My dad and I had the opportunity to fly on a helicopter to tour the island. It was my first helicopter ride. I've always wanted to go on one! It was definitely an unforgettable experience. My dad and I got to sit right in front with the pilot. The island was absolutely breath taking and there's no way any of my pictures form my silly iphone do ANY justice to the beauty of it all... but I will keep those beautiful images I saw in my head forever. The island of Kauai truly is SO beautiful. We also got to fly over the Na Pali coast. Those cliffs were miraculous and the crystal blue water was absolutely stunning. We got to see where Pirates 4 was filmed and also the opening scene on Jurassic Park was filmed. I've never seen so many amazing waterfalls so close together in my life. All I kept thinking about was Heavenly Father and how much He loves us by creating such a beautiful world!

Since I am pregnant and nauseated and my dad gets sea sick on large boats.... we rode the helicopter. The rest of the gang took a catamaran tour of the Na Pali coast. From their pictures and stories... they had an amazing time. They got to see lots of caves, dolphins racing the boat, and they got to snorkel. Nick said he snorkeled next to a seal. He said it was 5 feet away from him and such a neat experience. I'm so glad they got to experience that! They all got a bit sea sick on the ride back... but they said it was worth it!!!

It was so thereputic just getting away ( from my bed and all the nausea ) and to just spend time with Nick and my family. I couldn't have asked for a better place to be! I miss it! I am so grateful I wasn't sick the entire time we were there! What a complete blessing and tender mercy!

Since we took a million pictures, I made a little slide show of our trip. Enjoy!


3 comments:

Katherine Young said...

ahhh! it looks like a blast! love that you guys got to go and have such a good time!

The Risenmays said...

Fun! I'm glad you were able to enjoy yourself and not be too sick. I've been to Hawaii several times but never Kauai and I want to so bad. It looks like such a beautiful place. You look great, by the way. I hope your sickness starts to ease up soon :)

Elle Keeps Moving said...

sounds like it was an amazing trip! what a nice uncle. i'm glad you were at least feeling good enough to enjoy it!