Thursday, October 28, 2010

Girls Weekend

Last weekend was most splendid. I took a little roadtrip with Kristi and Charla to California. Oh how I love this time of year in California... especially at my dear friend, Kristi's house. It's always so much fun to go for a visit and see her amazing parents. It's always so refreshing and delightful. I always feel at home there. Lee (Charla's boyfriend and Kristi's brother) and Ean ( Kristi's husband) went to China for a couple of weeks, so we hung out for the weekend in California and picked the boys up on Sunday at the LAX airport. It was a touching reunion. Let's go through the pictures from my trip (courtesy of my iphone) Shall we?


It was the most perfect fall weather in Moreno Valley.
We were loving it. Especially Kristi's parents ( who are used to 90 degree weather in October.)
This is the view from Kristi's house.

Diane (Kristi's adorable mother) was so excited for the fall weather. She quickly got out all her cute autumn decorations and scented candles and the appropriate prelude music for the season. October is one of my favorite months to visit Kristi's house because of all the memories we've made in the past and Autumn is one of my most favorite months.

We even sat by the fire each night... just chatting... or playing a few games. :)
(side note: I can't believe how BIG Bub's (Caleb) and Meme's (Rachel) have gotten! They are SO cute, I can't even handle it. Bubu and Rachel loved the fire so much... their faces were bright red from sitting so close to it. We eventually had to sort of pry them away from the fire and take them outside to cool off. They were loving it. haha.

Larry (Kristi's dad) makes some of the most delicious drinks. His fresh orange juice from his red blood oranges is one of my favorites. This is a new juice I tried while we were there and it is now my favorite! Larry picked some fresh limes and oranges from his trees and made the most delicious drink you will ever taste. Before we left, he kindly picked me some limes off his tree for me to make some. They call this drink "BREW". Perfect. I made some Brew last night for my family and they absolutely loved it.

Recipe for BREW:
1 cup lime juice
2 cups orange juice
3 cups water
add sugar to taste.
(Nick had the idea to also add some coconut juice... how delicious would THAT be?!)

It melted my heart when we picked up the boys at the airport. Kristi had been away from her husband about 2 weeks... and she was counting down the days to see him again! It was the sweetest reunion. I love Ean and Kristi! The boys were very excited to be back in the USA... I don't think they loved the donkey lettuce wraps and pig fat sandwiches very much.

We went to a "U-Pick" farm close to their home. It was REALLY neat. I loved that we could just pick what we want and it was fresh off the vine! I can't wait to have my own garden one day.

I taught the girls a few of my favorite games. We played Settlers of Catan and they loved it. Kristi WON! I was so proud. ( side note: look how CUTE she is with her pregnant belly!)

We also went to a farmers market in Riverside.
DELICIOUS.

I was completely surrounded by TALENTED women all weekend. It was simply amazing. I always learn SO much from people like this! Charla made some delicious french bread made from scratch. We ate it that night with our "soup bar" dinner. We had tomato basil, chicken noodle, taco soup, and butternut squash soup all made from scratch. YUMMMM.

Emily ( Kristi's 9 year old niece) taught us all how to make these delicious apple dumplings.
They were to die for!

Here we are about to feast. See?

Charla making butternut squash soup!

There was LOTS of piano music this weekend. I absolutely love piano music. Some fond memories of this home is all of us gathered around the piano singing hymns. This weekend, we practiced Come Thou Fount ( one of my favorites) and The Olive Tree to sing to the boys on Sunday. It was beautiful, I must say so myself.

Drake kept us all in line during our stay.
He's full of wisdom and grace.

We also went to one of my most favorite places: Oak Glen.
We walked around and got Carmel apples ( my favorite.) These were especially good because they were freshly picked from their orchards.

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay with my dear friends. We had such an uplifting weekend together. Diane and Larry are the BEST hosts. They are some of the most selfless, hard working, talented, funny, sweetest people I know. Even though I had such a wonderful girl's weekend, I was thrilled to get back home to my sweet husband. How I missed him!

No comments: