Monday, September 20, 2010

oh Rexburg

This past weekend, Nick and I drove to Rexburg, Idaho.
My mom went to Ricks, I've been to BYU-I a few times visiting friends, but never have I really explored Rexburg until this weekend.

Quite an interesting place, that Rexburg. I would never want to live there -- too cold for me, but it sure was fun looking around and seeing everything.

Let me explain:
Nick grew up in San Jose... but he was born in Rexburg, Idaho. He lived there until he was about 7 years old. That's where Nick's dad is from originally. Nick's dad, Travis, comes from a family of FOURTEEN kids. WOW. The reason we drove down to Idaho this weekend was because they were having a "Ferguson Family Reunion" and I got to meet every single last one of them. :)

We wore these shirts " Got Roots" for the large family picture we took.
( Idaho people pronounce it "RUTS."
Don't get me started. My own husband pronounces it that way.)



Isaac and Sab came along too. I love those guys.

We played lots of outdoor games. Nick's grandpa's name is Hal.
So they named it the "HAL-LYMPICS." Clever. :)
The "games" consisted of chores that the 14 Ferguson kids did around the house growing up.
Snapping green beans, hammering nails in wood with pliers because there wasn't a hammer, matching clean socks, and carrying a wheelbarrow with tons of heavy wood. They also had a "HAL-T" or hat making contest because Hal is a huge hat wearer. Each team made hats and Grandpa Hal picked the one he liked best. Here's Nick's team's creation.

This did not look very fun:

Some people didn't like it too much either...

Travis was cracking me up all weekend. He was being so funny the whole time!

This isn't even everyone...


Nick and I drove around Rexburg and he showed me where he used to live, where he was born, his old elementary school, his first girlfriend's house, we got to stay with his other set of grandparents and spent a little time with them as well. They live on a farm and have lots of chickens, turkeys, cats, and goats. I loved their barn. It was like it was right out of a movie. I wish I took pictures of it! We also got to see Summer and Mark and Sina. I'm so mad I didn't take more pictures. Once again, all these pics are from my phone!

This is the house that Travis and his 13 brothers and sisters grew up in.
Isn't it ADORABLE?! I love it!
As Nick drove away he said " If only these walls could talk..." and he chuckled to himself.
Travis is a pretty funny fellow and so are his siblings. I'm sure lots of funny things happened here...

This is Nick's elementary school. He went here for a few years before they moved.
I couldn't decide if it was creepy... or cool.
I loved that it was old. It didn't even look like a school, really.
The flag pole helps.


Wow. 1940. That's OLD.

Nick found out they don't use this school anymore...
They'll probably tear it down soon. That's another reason why it was so dead looking.
I'm sure it was an awesome school back in the day! I'd love to say I went to elementary school that was built in 1940. Nick can say that.


The Ol playground. Where all the little girls chased cute little Nick around and where Nick schooled everyone in soccer.



We had a great time. It was nice being able to meet his entire family! Families really are such a wonderful thing and I'm so grateful for family. It was a short trip, but fun. It blows my mind that people live and grow up in Rexburg, Idaho. But then again, I'm from Texas. People can't understand that either. (It's my home though, there's so many things I love about Texas.) It's just so cold in Idaho! So cold! I loved the rolling hills and the kind people though. I kind of love that Nick's family grew up there ~ they're fun people, you know.

I really wish those old walls could talk. I'd love to hear stories!

(Nick took this picture when we were driving. NEAT.)


1 comment:

Coslett's said...

looks like you had a good time! I LOVE the shirts... how cute are they! We need to make a coslett one for when we have a reunion haha i guess that will be generations down the line oh well.... someday!