Friday, March 27, 2009

Are We Christians?

Indeed we are.
Watch this powerful video:


Nick and I have had the opportunity these past months of working with the missionaries. It has been such a wonderful experience and such a blessing in our lives. We are working with one family in particular (Jackie and Camille) and each time we meet with them, the spirit is always so strong. They lived in San Diego back in the day, and the missionaries would visit them. They would listen, but weren't really that interested. Years have flown by, and now they're in Utah. The missionaries have found them once again. It's really neat to hear them tell us, " I don't think you found us out of coincidence." They know the Lord led the missionaries to them. They are ready to accept the gospel. They know it's true. They just have to take the next step. 

One question they said they used to have, but has now been answered, that made my testimony grow even stronger was... " How come it seems like the missionaries just preach about Joseph Smith? Shouldn't it all be about the Savior?" Yes. It's ALL about the Savior, Jesus Christ. 

As missionaries, their purpose is to invite others to come unto Christ. They spend 2 years proclaiming the gospel of Jesus Christ. The message they have is such GREAT news! After the great apostasy, and after years of not having a prophet of God on the earth to lead and guide His children..... he has ONCE AGAIN called another prophet in this dispensation, that that prophet was Joseph Smith. 

We do not worship Joseph, we worship our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. We have such great respect and love towards the prophet, Joseph. The great news the missionaries share is that we have a living prophet today, who talks with God, and who receives revelation from Him. We are not left in the dark. Heavenly Father loves us too much to let us wander and guess the truths for ourselves. We have a living prophet today, President Thomas S. Monson. 

We do not have our "own bible"... we believe the Bible to be the word of God as far as it is translated correctly. We also believe the Book of Mormon to be the word of God. It is another testament of Jesus Christ. Just like prophets of old wrote the Bible, prophets at the same time wrote the Book of Mormon in the Americas. The Book of Mormon only brings us closer to Christ. Joseph did not write the book.. he translated it by the power of God. One can know it's true for themselves if they read it and ask God with a sincere heart, with real intent, having faith in Christ, if the book is true. I KNOW the Book of Mormon is the word of God. It has blessed my life. I learn something new in it each day. I KNOW Joseph Smith saw God the Father and Jesus Christ that day in the grove of trees. I KNOW he was a prophet of God. I KNOW we have a living prophet today who directs the church under the hand of God. 

Jackie and Camille are coming to church on Sunday. I am amazed at the love Heavenly Father truly has for each of us. I have felt the love the Lord has for Jackie and Camille. I believe they will be ready for baptism soon.  It really touches me how MUCH He really is apart of our lives. If we humble ourselves a little more, if we're more kind, if we invite the spirit into our lives more, if we're more prayerful.... the Lord will bless us more than we know. 

Joseph Smith said, " One of the most important things you can ever do in this life, is to preach the gospel of Jesus Christ." 
"The standard of truth has been erected. No unhallowed hand can stop the work from progressing; persecutions may rage, mobs may combine, armies may assemble, calumny may defame, but the truth of God will go forth boldly, nobly, and independent, till it has penetrated every continent, visited every clime, swept every country, and sounded in every ear, till the purposes of God shall be accomplished, and the great Jehovah shall say the work is done."
I love that. So powerful. 

 The Lord wants everyone to come unto Him, He wants everyone to know the truth and to feel joy and happiness in their lives. He wants them to come to a knowledge of the plan He has for EACH of us. He wants us to know that families can be together forever. 

I know this is true. I love missionary work and I love this gospel. 

1 comment:

Coslett's said...

love this post heather