Monday, July 1, 2013

camping in PA

So, we went camping for the first time in Pennsylvania on Friday with a couple of friends, Becky & Spencer. I have been super excited to go camping... there's something about it that I just love. I've always been partial to just staying outdoors at all times ( this is why I need some good 'ol California weather. I very strongly dislike the cold AND extreme heat. No thank you. 70 degrees is where it's at.)

When we were little, we would often sleep outside, whether it be under the stars on the trampoline, inside a cozy tent my dad would set up for us, or my personal favorite: our awesome tree house my dad built, that looked exactly like a giant doll house. In college, we would often go off roading in the majestic mountains of Utah and camp for the night. ( I personally prefer camping somewhere totally random... totally secluded. A place where no one's camped before.) Honestly, I really don't like camp grounds... they bother me. I guess I just don't enjoy camping next to complete strangers... especially the kind who are loud, obnoxious, and weed smokers. ( Those were our neighbors this time around....). Gag. I'd much rather camp next to a bunch of bears then next to people like that. ( Well, maybe not, but maybe.)

Just in the past few years I have been deathly afraid of cougars and bears. Thankfully, I've never encountered them... but thanks to shows like, " I shouldn't be alive" and " I survived," I am now scarred for life. ( Do yourself a favor and DON'T watch those.)

Anyway, I guess when you've only got one night to spare, a 4-wheel drive car that you can't afford to fix if you broke it, and no knowledge of awesome camping spots in the Philadelphia area.... you just go to a regular 'ol camp ground somewhere... and that's just what we did.

We went to a little town called Jim Thorpe. It was actually rated the #2 best little town in the United States ( my hometown, Denton, being #1.... which isn't saying much. Sorry, Denton.) But Jim Thorpe was kind of a cute little town. It reminded me of the Square in Denton, only prettier and with more character. I loved the old train that ran through the town most. Really cool.

We drove up the mountain a little ways from the cute little town and found a little camping spot to camp at. The weather reports warned us that there would be a 40% chance of thunder storms. That didn't scare me one bit. I knew this would be the only time this summer we'd be able to camp, so.... we went. Long story short, we set everything up.... and then we heard lots of thunder. ( My favorite.) I actually don't mind camping in the rain... especially when I'm sleeping. But it was sort of a bummer because we had our tin foil dinners cooking on the coals... and bam... all the sudden it started POURING. Some how our tents sat in a path that apparently forms a RIVER when it rains. haha. Seriously... I thought our friend's tent was going to drift off into the big river down the hill from us just because it was raining so hard. Our food was saved, thanks to Becky for holding the umbrella over the food the entire time it rained ( about an hour!) We moved their tent to a safer spot after it stopped raining and everything was okay. Most important thing... our food was saved. haha

Nick had fun despite the rain... don't let the picture fool you. 


The boys wanted to leave.... but we girls wanted to stick it out. So we did. And I'm glad we did!

We enjoyed our tin foil dinners, ate some delicious s'mores, had some nice chats, saw some fireflies and played a few card games. That's what I call a successful camping trip. ( If only we could have omitted the strange men who showed up during the rain storm to set up their stuff, asked us if we wanted a beer ( which we obviously declined), and then smoked their doobies while talking as if they had microphones... (sp?) If they wouldn't have been there and if it would have rained while we were sleeping... I would have called it perfection. :)

Here's a delicious S'more recipe I pinned on pinterest. I haven't tried it yet... but I can't wait to make it.

S'more Recipe 


1 comment:

Unknown said...

now that's an adventure! :)