I've just been thinking a lot and of course, it makes me want to blog about it. Living in a huge city... so different from Provo... has been a big change for me. It's been hard so far in lots of different ways, but it's also a huge blessing being here. It's a huge blessing because it's a great opportunity to grow. I was so comfortable back in Provo... I lived so close to my siblings, I have wonderful friends there, I knew where everything was... I was content. Change has always been hard for me so you can imagine my feelings of moving to a huge city by ourselves not knowing anyone... and Nick being busy with medical school 24/7.
However, I
I've had an extremely blessed life... so this is NOTHING compared to so many other people's trials in this life. This is just a tiny trial of mine at this moment in my life. Trials are always hard: however big or small they may be. I left the comforts of my home when I was 17 to attend college in Utah. Looking back, I was very blessed by making that decision many years ago. I made life-long friends, had so many wonderful adventures and service opportunities. I grew a lot during that time. I then left the comforts of living in the Unites States and speaking my native language to serve a mission in Argentina. Boy what a growing experience that was! .... I can't ever explain to you in words how that mission changed my life. I grew in so many ways I never thought was possible. What a blessing!
Now... here I am in Philadelphia. The East Coast. A place that is completely foreign to me. I am here with my sweet husband and precious baby girl. He will be away everyday for medical school...studying his buns off... and it will be Madeline and me. Everyday. Just me and her. I hope to teach her new things and to play with her lots and enjoy the time we have together. I just hope she doesn't get bored with me! { This is where the trial comes in: feeling alone... with a sweet little one in my arms relying on me to teach her and entertain her... not knowing where a dang thing is in this city with no money to do anything. } This is where I have to get creative... and I can be creative. I can do that.
I am grateful for this opportunity to grow closer to my Heavenly Father and rely on Him to keep our family safe and well. I know He will if we are keeping the commandments and living right. I'm so grateful for prayer and knowing He is always there... not far away at all.
On another topic... I keep seeing and hearing about things that make my heart hurt. The world can be such a cruel, harsh place. As a Christian, it's so important to be kind, patient, loving... all the things the adversary doesn't want us to be. Nick's school is in a very bad part of town ( I think i've mentioned that before.) Our church is only blocks from his school. Last week, there was a shooting at the PLAY GROUND across the street from our church. This happens often. So much hatred and evil that goes on. My point is... as a Christian, I PRAY I never add to that hatred. Seeing gruesome, evil acts by people here in Philadelphia is so heart wrenching. Not saying any of us would ever do these acts of hatred... but I'm talking more along the lines of loving our neighbors better, serving those around us better, being a better friend... a better person. NOT adding to all the hate that goes on in the world. Especially as Christians, isn't it our duty to live as the Savior did? LOVE ONE ANOTHER. I am SO grateful for the Atonement... that He laid down his life for me and you so that we have that opportunity to be better. What a miracle and a blessing that is. I want to be better.
I love this quote:
"People are often unreasonable, illogical and self-centered.
Forgive them anyway.
If you are kind, people may accuse you of selfish motives.
Be kind anyway.
If you are successful, you will win some false friends and some true enemies.
Succeed Anyway.
If you are honest and sincere, people may deceive you.
Be honest and sincere anyway.
What you spend years building, someone could destroy overnight;
Build anyway.
If you find serenity and happiness, they may be jealous;
be happy anyway.
The good you do today, people will often forget tomorrow;
Do good Anyway.
Give the world the best you have and it may never be enough;
give them your best anyway.
In the final analysis, it is between you and God; it never was between you and them anyway."
~ Mother Teresa.
This poem sums up exactly how the Savior was in my opinion. I want to be more like Him! Wouldn't the world be a much better place if we could all try to be a little more like Him?
Living in Philidelphia won't be easy at first... but it gets better. How do I know? Because I've had this type of change before and it's always been nothing but a huge blessing. I'm also grateful for this "fresh" new chapter in our lives. I pray I can live as the Savior would have me live. I pray I can be a good wife, mother, and friend.
I can do that.

No comments:
Post a Comment