Tuesday, March 20, 2012

The iPhone and bad habits

When I was in high school... texting was scarce, if not unheard of. ( Yes, I'm THAT old.) My phone looked like a purple brick. Seriously. My dad thought it would be cool to get those Nokia phones that are like walkie talkies... so my whole family had one. I only texted someone if it was an emergency. It was like $.20 to send a text! The "cool" thing back then was staying up late chatting with friends from school on AOL Instant Messenger....

My dad has always been a Macintosh kind of guy. He's also SUPER into technology. He was one of the first ones to have a car phone and a cell phone. He also bought the first "colorful" mac computer that came out. It was bright blue and we loved it. I guess wireless wasn't available 15 years ago because we had dial-up. This was back when my parents had a land line, so we were only supposed to use the internet sparingly. I loved getting online and checking my e-mail and then... of course... signing on to instant messenger to see if that "cute boy" was online ( and he was a lot of the time). ;) I remember getting in arguments with my sister Ashley to "hurry and get off the computer" because, HELLO! The "cute boy" was surely online and I needed to flirt with him! duh. ( Haha, okay, I wasn't much of a flirt... maybe a little.) Hey! In my defense, he was a flirt too. { Status on what happened with the "cute boy"- we ended up being best friends and did everything together. Thanks AOL instant messenger! } haha.

Anyway, this was all back in the early 2000's.

Now we're in 2012. CRAZY.

There was NO way you could have told me back in high school that we would have phones with TOUCH screens... that can HOOK UP TO THE INTERNET anywhere.... that can play music.... etc, etc... It would have blown my mind! { I remember my dad telling me that VHS's would one day be like "CD's" ( DVDs). Yeah right, dad.

Of course, when the iphone came out, my dad surprised us all that first Christmas with one. { Remember, he's a Mac & electronics kind of guy, so it was only natural he did that.} I wasn't too sure about it... since I loved my beautiful, white slider phone... but the iphone grew on me. ;)

What a crazy day and age we live in. I'm actually afraid that my children will waste their lives away because they basically will be carrying a small computer with internet around with them all day their entire lives. { I have no room to talk... we'll get to this later.} I will have to make sure and balance out their time on the computer.... with MORE time playing outside and reading ACTUAL books { not the virtual kind. Books will NEVER go out of style. Well, not in my house.} There's other scary things that come with the internet that could get hairy if your kids got ahold of it.... there's so many scary things this world offers.... but that's when Nick and I will step in and TEACH our children what's right. Hopefully they'll listen. :)

Anyway, since having Madeline... she sleeps often.... so in the early morning hours, when I can't sleep... I have a routine that involves my iphone while laying in bed in the same room as the sleeping babe. Want to hear it? Okay.


{ these are all FREE apps on the iphone) 

1. I check my Pinterest. { An AWESOME website where you can "pin" your favorite things onto your virtual, organized "boards". I am hooked and have been for months. I've actually found a lot of delicious recipes, party ideas, things to do with Madeline, ideas for my dream home, and other really great things!} I used to go through magazines and rip out "great ideas" that I'd like in my future home and things and then I'd put the pages in a binder. Well, this is like that, only BETTER... and I don't have to rip out any pages!

You can follow me HERE.

2. I check my facebook. { REALLY bad habit. I know. But in my defense, I also have my business on facebook. It's been SUCH a great tool to reach out to people and to get my business name out there. I have a love/hate relationship with facebook.}

You can be friends with me HERE. and "LIKE" my photography page HERE. :)

3. I check Twitter. { I only get on here to pretend I'm BFFs with all the celebs and stalk them. If I would of had this in high school, I would have died. I remember thinking: I wonder what Jonathan Taylor Thomas is doing right now? Well, hello!! Insert: Twitter! } Half kidding.


4. I look at my Instagram. { I love this app. It's free too! Not only can you take really awesome pictures on your iphone using this app... but you can "follow" your friends and check out their cool pictures too. It's wonderful.}

My user name is HeatherFerg. Find me and follow!

5. I check the weather. { It's going to get back up to 70 this week!!!! }

6. I check my e-mail. I love that I can just get on my PHONE and check my e-mail.

7. I check all the (free) games I love to play: Words with Friends ( like scramble), Hanging with Friends ( like hang man) { both these games you play against your friends!} , Temple Run ( like Mario brothers, but not) , and my newest favorite: Draw Something ( like pictionary) with your friends! Absolutely addicting and I'm not sure how I feel about all of this.

There you have it. My routine. I also have the LDS app with hymns and the scriptures on it. I make it a goal to look at this app often. { This helps me justify all my other time wasting activities on my phone.}

If you have the same problem as me.... follow me and play games with me! Or DON'T follow my example and getchyourself a purple brick Nokia phone instead. { This will reduce the risk of you wasting time!}


Bad habits.... I know. Working on it.

No comments: