yesterday was visitor day at the anatomy lab at BYU.
Each TA got to bring one visitor.
Nick brought me.
It was very strange being in a room with 6 dead bodies all around me. Most of the bodies have been dissected (this is what Nick has been doing all summer for his dissection class.) We had a small orientation at the beginning and they pointed to each body and told us who they were and what they used to do for a living and how they died.
It was crazy to think that these were actual people. One of them was a prisoner who decided to donate his body to science because he wanted to give back to the community. I thought that was cool. The TA's all said that they treat their experience in the dissection lab very respectfully and at times it's a very spiritual experience for them. After all, the human body is a creation of God~ His most special creation. I appreciated that each student and instructor really are respectful and take it very seriously. Each one of these TA's are moving on to be Doctors and Nurses.
I saw about every part of the body you can think of, inside and out. I held a brain and a heart.
( Nick made me.) I saw a body that had died from cancer. She had tumors ALL over. It was super sad, but important for these future doctors to see and work with. I thought it was really neat that Nick has the opportunity to learn so much about the human body. He really loves Anatomy and Science. He was SO excited to show me around, he said he had been thinking of this day for months and couldn't wait to show me everything. I was there for about 45 minutes. I thought i'd be pretty strong, and I was... but the smell was REALLY potent. I am so surprised I lasted 45 minutes. I thought I was going to pass out, luckily I didn't.
Nick in his Anatomy TA outfit :) about to go inside.

Last night I got to see a dear friend of mine, Steph. She's in town for the week with her little family. We've been friends since freshman year at BYU. She's SUCH a cute mom. I can't believe she has 3 kids! They're all super adorable. She's holding her youngest, Grant. He's only 8 months old, but he's a CHUNK. I kept squeezing him and couldn't get enough. He's SO So cute. We chatted for a good hour and it was a lot of fun catching up! I loved seeing her. Hopefully we'll still get to go to San Jose this summer and visit them!

don't you wanna squeeze him?
I wish I took pictures of his chubby hands, feet, and legs!
(sorry, the pictures aren't super clear. It was dark in there and it was taken with my phone.)

We are enjoying our garden this year. We started so late, we were worried nothing would grow. It's doing pretty well, actually! We were going to do the community garden thing, but Ashley and Lance had space in their own yard to put a garden, so we thought that would be better. We have beans, broccoli, bell peppers, squash, zucchini, watermelon, honey dew, jalapenos, tomatoes, onions, cucumber, corn, and some herbs. I LOVE fresh produce!


3 comments:
so are you going to donate your body when you die? I bet that was fun catching up with steph. I wish we could all get together some time.
Good question, Emily.
That was fun, Heather!
Question: Is Nick's professor by chance Rachel Tomco? She's my Pathology II instructor and she mentioned today that she runs the dissection lab over at BYU. Just curious. :0)
Post a Comment