Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Jacob


I love reading the Book of Mormon. I especially love the prophets of old, like Nephi, Captain Moroni, and Mosiah. My favorite lately has been Jacob though.
Nick and I have started reading the book of Jacob, and I read chapter 2 this morning.

Oh how I love chapter two.

Jacob is SUCH a great writer, isn't he? I just love reading what he writes.

He was so Valiant. Being Nephi's younger brother, Jacob must have looked up to him greatly. It's obvious because of what a righteous man Jacob was.

I love reading the scriptures and seeing the personalities of each of the prophets and the way they write. I love the examples they set for us in the scriptures ~ to love one another, to have faith, to believe in Christ, to serve others.

Lately I have been stressing out about finances. A few things fell through this summer that we were anticipating to receive to help us financially. The past few days I have been very prayerful and hoping I will be able to find more tutoring jobs, more photography jobs, and maybe even a JOB. So far, nothing.

I believe that we go through trials in this life to help us grow. If life was easy... how would we ever grow?

We just wouldn't.

I'm grateful for the hard times because they strengthen me and make me realize that I can reach farther than I ever thought I could reach.

This morning as I read Jacob 2, I felt like Jacob was speaking right to me. ( We often find this when we are prayerful and read the scriptures, don't you think?)

Jacob 2:18-19
"But before ye seek for riches, seek ye for the kingdom of God."
"And after ye have obtained a hope in Christ, ye shall obtain riches, if ye seek them; and ye will seek them for the intent to do good-to clothe the naked, and to feed the hungry, and to liberate the captive, and administer relief to the sick and the afflicted."

It's not that I'm wanting to be RICH. I'm just hoping Nick and I can keep our heads above water while he's pre-med and in medical school.

I have so much faith that we are going to be okay. Heavenly Father won't allow us to hit rock bottom, and if we do... it's for our own good. I know we will be okay though.

This strengthens my testimony of tithing. I have no doubt in my mind that Heavenly Father won't support us, because we are full tithe payers.

These couple of verses quickly humbled me. I need to put Heavenly Father FIRST and everything else will fall into place. He asks us to give, give, give... serve, serve, serve. Instead of worrying about myself and my problems... why don't I go out and serve?

I am so grateful for the scriptures. They really do speak to each of us and we can relate them to our own lives. It's just up to us to pick up our scriptures and make it a habit to read them daily. Not just read them, but dig into them. Love them. Imagine yourself right there in the stories. They become SO real and SO personal.

No matter what we're going through, weather it be losing a loved one, financial problems, school worries, a sick child, sorrows, pain... Our Savior is just waiting for us to call out to Him. He is there. We can be comforted through prayer and reading our scriptures.

What a blessing that is.

No comments: