Monday, December 7, 2009

Gratitude

Tonight, Nick and I went to the homeless shelter to help serve food & clean. ( McKell came along too!) I used to always go here to volunteer with Kristi, but I haven't done it in a while. I am so glad we got to go! What a humbling experience every time. It really is. I want to make it a habit to go there monthly and serve. The people we served the food to were so grateful... a few of them thanked me for my "service." One kept telling me Merry Christmas over and over. I thought about how Nick and I get to come home every night to a warm place... with food in the oven. We have NEVER been with out. We are so blessed.

Because I have been given much, I too must give.


"... take upon you the name of Christ; that ye humble yourselves even to the dust, and worship God, in whatsoever place ye may be in, in spirit and in truth; and that ye live in thanksgiving daily, for the many mercies and blessings which he doth bestow upon you."
-Alma 34:38

Oh how blessed I've been! How selfish I'd be if I didn't thank Him daily by serving those and loving those around me.

When we serve... we gain friends.
I love friends!

What a humbling experience it was to serve some of Heavenly Father's children with out a home, with out food, with out a family or a friend.

I am making it a goal to have more gratitude.
This starts with prayer.
I pray I can love and serve and give to those around me constantly.

"A grateful heart is the beginning of greatness. Gratitude builds humility as we recognize an act of kindness, service, or caring from someone else. True gratitude is a foundation for faith, courage, contentment, happiness, love, and well-being. Being grateful leads us to look outside ourselves and turn to the bestower of the blessings.

As we regularly express our gratitude to our Heavenly Father, we cultivate an uplifting attitude. The Savior has promised, "He who receiveth all things with thankfulness shall be made glorious" . Bitterness, resentful feelings, or mean-spiritedness cannot exist in a grateful heart. Greater happiness is achieved as deeper gratitude is developed."

Charity is the pure love of Christ.
He was the perfect example of charity.

I pray I can be more like Him... especially during this Christmas season.

1 comment:

Coslett's said...

love this heather! we should ALL recognize this! Service is the key!