Thursday, December 3, 2009

finding joy in the journey

Last night, Nick and I had the opportunity to go with Kelly's ward to go to the developmental center in American Fork. We held a dance for them and it was so much fun. These special, sweet people ranged in age from their 20's to their 60's.

I really felt the spirit so strong when we were in the room with them. They asked us to speak to them just like we speak to our friends or family and to look them right in the eyes when we did so. He told us even though they might not be able to respond, they can hear us. And I know they could hear us. They were so happy we were there. I felt such a reverence for these sweet people.

Here I was, surrounded by all these Celestial beings, and I felt so lucky to be there. Nick says they "have the golden tickets from the Wonka bars. Strait access to the Celestial Kingdom." :) It's so true, though! What pure, innocent people they are.

We sang primary songs to them while they sat and listened. I got choked up when we sang those songs to them. The spirit was so strong in the room. Their eyes lit up and even though they couldn't respond, I knew they were so happy we were there.

I couldn't help but think of the scripture in Mosiah 3:19
"For the natural man is an enemy to God and has been from the fall of Adam, and will be forever and ever unless he yields to the enticings of the holy spirit and putteth off the natural man and becometh a saint through the atonement of Christ the Lord and becometh as a child, submissive, meek, humble, patient, full of love, willing to submit to all things which the Lord seeth fit to inflict upon him, even as a child doth submit to his father."

They were in their 40's and 50's... but they sure were pure like little children.

Nick said,
" I wonder why Heavenly Father lets people be handicapped like this..."
I responded,
" maybe it's a test for us. To serve and love them... maybe to humble us too."

don't you think?

I am grateful for opportunities to SERVE.
In the end, I feel like I have been the one served to because I always come out happier and with a desire to uplift those around me more. It's a win, win situation.

We danced for them and with them last night for about 45 minutes. Nick was very popular. He took the middle of the dance floor ( like usual) and one of the residents there yelled, " GOOD JOB!" I thought that was quite a compliment coming from one of Heavenly Father's special spirits. Nick was such a riot! We had a lot of fun.

Nick and I are making it a goal to look for more ways to serve those around us. I hope to be able to go to a rest home soon to sing songs and read stories and to just visit the people there.

Why do these mormon-ad video clips always get me choked up? Every.Single.Time.

I pray we find JOY IN THE JOURNEY by serving those around us and making THE BEST of this life no matter what we go through.

Enjoy.

4 comments:

Ben Martino said...

Heather, Thanks for always uplifting me with your sweet posts! I'm serious, it's just what I need to get me through the day. Love you Frien!

JamiLeigh said...

I don't think I've ever told you, but my little sister has Downs syndrome. You know what? She is a blessing to ever single one of my family members. We have learned more from her than we have ever taught her for sure. I think Heavenly Father gives us people with disabilities because they teach us how we are supposed to be. Another lesson I've learned from having a little sister with a disability - every one of us has a "disability" of some kind. Ultimately we all have to learn to rely on Christ to help us through our own struggles. Thanks for your post Heather. : )

Jami

Katy said...

Your posts really are so inspiring and uplifting. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts and testimony! You guys are such incredible examples of selfless service; Micah and I want to be more like you!

kelly ferg said...

Thanks so much for coming and enjoying the night with us! You guys are great and I'm sure it was a great example to the younger kids to let go and enjoy the moment! Love you guys!